Our treatment options are designed for one thing: Help you maintain a healthy smile and keep your natural teeth. However, occasionally maintaining a healthy smile means removing a tooth. When is an extraction the right choice for your smile? What should a patient expect from this restorative procedure?
Try Our Quiz on Dental Extraction
- True or False: We can use extractions to improve alignment.
- True or False: Removing a tooth can prevent wisdom tooth impaction.
- True or False: We can use the procedure to stop the spread of infection.
- True. In some cases, addressing misalignment means first preparing the smile by removing a tooth. In these rare cases, we need to make room for teeth to be repositioned, which is needed to help the patient finally enjoy a straighter smile with ClearCorrect or FASTBRACES.
- True. As we grow older and reach our late teens and early 20s, a third set of molars can erupt. Known as wisdom teeth, these can often become impacted, meaning they only partially erupt and in the process, lead to discomfort, infection, and potentially even damaged teeth. In addition, since the mouth comfortably holds 28 teeth and this pushes the number to 32, misalignment can occur. Fortunately, we can remove the teeth prior to eruption!
- True. We usually treat infection with a root canal procedure. However, if the case is severe then we may need to extract the tooth to keep infection from spreading to surrounding teeth or into the jawbone itself. We can do this comfortably and quickly by removing the tooth, and then we can discuss tooth replacement options, such as dental bridges or even a single tooth dental implant. If you have any questions or concerns about tooth removal, then contact our team today.
Ready to Learn More About Extractions?
To ensure the health of your smile, we offer an array of restorative treatments, from fillings to comfortable dental extraction! Come in for a visit with your dentist at Elevation Dental in Pearland, TX today by calling us at 281-506-7987.